Kitzbühel Curling Club
Founded in 1955
Member of the "Royal Caledonian Curling Club"
Curling is played in Kitzbühel since 1908. At that time, only the Scottish guests played, the locals did not have much interest in this sport yet.
It took almost 50 years until Curling could gain ground in Kitzbühel. Then, Mr. Carl von Menshengen, the that time Kitzbühel Director of Tourism, hired a Scottish coach, the Kitzbühel Tourist Association bought stones and brooms and three dedicated Curling rinks were installed.
In 1955 the Kitzbühel Curling Club (KCC) was founded.
Even if there were other clubs (for example St. Anton, St. Johann in Tyrol and Seefeld) the KCC was the only club who became member of the Royal Caledonian Curling Club.
At the beginning of 1960, several former ice-hockey players joined the Kitzbühel curlers and hence Curling boomed further.
Curling continued growing in Kitzbühel when the Curlers moved from the open-air rinks to the newly built ice-arena at Lebenberg. Then however, the development of Curling in Kitzbühel suddenly stopped and the membership did (during the next couple of years) not increase further.
In the winter of 1974 / 75 a new Board started new initiatives. Clinics and tournaments were organised and regular Curling training sessions took place. Soon after that, the club again had over 100 members.
This led to the foundation of a second club in Kitzübhel (CC Halali) and another club in St. Johann in Tyrol. The foundation of an Austrian Curling Association now became a top priority.
This aim was achieved in 1980, when the Austrian Curling Association was founded. For the first time ever Austrian Curling Championships were organised.
The Kitzbühel Curling Club was represented countless times at European and World Championships and the KCC Curlers very often managed to be promoted to the European A-group.